Westfall Township, Matamoras, PA
March 6, 2017
The Regular meeting of the Westfall Township Board of Supervisors was held Monday, March 6, 2017 at 7:00 pm. The meeting was held at the Township Building on Delaware Drive and LaBarr Lane, Westfall Township.
Those present were Chairman, Robert Melvin; Vice Chairman, Jerry Dotey; Supervisors; Lester Buchanan, Robert Bostinto and Paul Fischer; Solicitor; Robert Bernathy; and Secretary, Jodi Hulse. Also present were Zoning Officer, Wayne Rohner; Road Master and Mill Rift Fire Department President, Bill Schneider; Police Chief, Chad Stewart; Westfall Township Fire Department Chief; Robert Llewellyn; Treasurer, Scott Myer; Robert Ewbank, Emergency Nate Oiler, RKR Hess; and approximately six members of the general public.
APPROVAL OF AGENDA:
The agenda was approval by motion made by Supervisors Buchanan. The motion was seconded by Supervisor Dotey and carries with all in favor.
PUBLIC COMMENT: No public comment. Supervisor Bostinto mentioned a fund raiser wine tasting event through the Eastern Pike Regional Police Department Foundation which will take place on May 7, 2016 at 3:00 pm at Malibu Dude Ranch.
Regular Meeting Minutes-February 6, 2017: A motion was made by Supervisor Buchanan to approve the February 6, 2017 Regular Meeting Minutes. The motion was seconded by Vice Chairman Dotey and carries with four in favor and one abstention. Chairman Melvin abstained since he was absent for the meeting.
TREASURER’S REPORT: Mr. Myer gave the report through the month of February, 2017. He stated the Liquid Fuels Audit was completed with no findings. Kirk and Summa are currently completing the audit for the DCED Report and Financial Statement. Mr. Myer stated there is nothing else to note.
A motion was made by Supervisor Buchanan to approve the Treasurer’s Report through the month of February, 2017. The motion was seconded by Supervisor Fischer and carries with all in favor.
POLICE REPORT: Chief Stewart read the report for February, 2017. The report reflects the following for the month of February, 2017:
Miles Patrolled: 5,827
Motor Vehicle Accidents: 9
Calls for the month: 137
Chief Stewart presented the Board with the February, 2017 Report. He also noted the significant happenings on the front of the report which are as follows:
*Gave tour of HQ to the Girl Scouts
*DA’s office put in a grant for equipment for Municipal Dept’s for equipment
*Conducted training for new TraCS program for officers
*Winter Parking Ordinance is still in effect until April 1st
*The EPRPD Foundation is having a Sportsman’s Raffle to be held June 1, 2017. Tickets may be purchased from any member
*EPRPD Foundation is having a Wine Tasting Event at Malibu on Sunday, May 7, 2017 from 3-6 PM. Tickets are $50 per person
A motion was made by Supervisor Buchanan to approve the Police Report for the month of February, 2017. The motion was seconded by Vice Chairman Dotey and carries with all in favor.
Mill Rift Fire Department: Bill Schneider gave the report for the Mill Rift Fire Department for the month of February, 2017 which confirmed the following:
2/03/17: Wires Down-Bluestone Boulevard-Engine 1
2/03/17: Work Night-Ran and Checked all vehicles
2/09/17: Monthly Meeting
2/16/17: Structure Fire-Port Jervis, NY-Tanker
2/17/17: Work Night pumped drafted engine 2-tanker 1
2/27/17: Mutual Aid Station 39-Lowe’s Tanker 1
2/24/17: Work Night-ran generators, chain saws and pump
Total Man Hours: 62
Total Equipment Hours YR: 43
Total Man Hours for the Year: 229
The Mill Rift Fire Department Report for February, 2017 was approved by motion by Supervisor Buchanan. The motion was seconded by Supervisor Fischer and carries with all in favor.
Westfall Fire Department: Chief Llewellyn gave the report for February, 2017: 7 Automatic Fire Alarms, 4 motor vehicle accidents, 1 vehicle fire, 3 utility wires down, 1 CO/gas leak, 1 Brush Fire, 1 Elevator Rescue, 1 Standby Transfer and 1 Structure Fire. The Total calls for February, 2017 were 20. The total fire calls year to date are 38.
The EMS Report for the month of February, 2017 was as follows: 41 Calls in Westfall Township, 3 Calls in Dingman Township, 3 calls in Milford Township, 8 calls in Milford Borough, 9 calls in Matamoras Borough, 1 call in Shohola Township and 5 calls in Orange County, NY. Total calls for February, 2017 were 70. Total EMS calls year to date are 143.
The combined Year to Date calls are 181.
Training for the month: Four Drills/In-house training sessions held for 108 hours.
Fundraising: Golf Outing-May 1, 2017; Pulled Pork Dinner-August 14; Gun Raffle-September 10; Tricky Tray-October 7
Other: Go-24 Store has not installed the hydrant or Knox Box as requested. Code violations in businesses found. Who is the authority having jurisdiction to review? Blue Ridge Avenue restoration has not been completed and is in poor condition following water main replacement along with various roads in Bell Manor.
A motion was made by Supervisor Buchanan to approve the Westfall Fire Department report for the month of February, 2017. The motion was seconded by Supervisor Fischer and carries with all in favor.
HIGHWAY DEPARTMENT: Mr. Schneider gave the report for February, 2017. The Department worked on cold patching throughout the township to fill pot holes. They also cleared ditches and culvert pipes for storm preparation. The Department also checked for down trees and branches and removed before during and after the storms. They were attended to two snow storms for the month of February. Mr. Schneider met with Scott Maciak from Penn Dot for paving bid preparation for the upcoming year. The Department replaced a sign on 6 and 209 which was knocked down. Salt was ordered and delivered (90 tons). They did maintenance on all equipment as needed. Mr. Schneider attended the Road Task Force meeting for February.
A motion was made by Supervisor Buchanan to approve the February, 2017 Highway Department Report. The motion was seconded by Vice Chairman Dotey and carries with all in favor.
BUILDING/ZONING REPORT: Wayne Rohner gave the report for February, 2017. He confirmed there were 2 building permits, 1 mechanical permit and 2 zoning permits for the month of February, 2017 totaling $8,078.00 in fees.
Mr. Rohner requested a check in the amount of $130.50 to District Justice for civil complaint filing fee for the Lamac matter.
A motion was made by Supervisor Buchanan to approve the check request. The motion was seconded by Supervisor Bostinto and carries with all in favor.
A motion was made by Supervisor Buchanan to approve the Building/Zoning Report for February, 2017. The motion was seconded by Supervisor Bostinto and carries with all in favor.
EMERGENCY MANAGEMENT: Robert Ewbank stated there were no calls for the month of February, 2017. He informed the Board he would be attending the Pike County Hazard Mitigation Meeting on March 8, 2017. Discussion followed as to which Supervisor would be meeting with a representative from Tetra Tech to go over the plan. Chairman Melvin instructed Secretary Hulse to set up the meeting which will be held at the Pike County Conservation District Office in Hawley.
The Emergency Management Report for the month of January, 2017 was approved on a motion made by Supervisor Buchanan and motion was seconded by Supervisor Fischer and carries with all in favor.
CORRESPONDENCE: On desk for review.
- Truck Bids-2005 F350 Pick Up- Secretary Hulse stated there were four sealed bids received and confirmed with Solicitor Bernathy that the bids were received in a timely manner. The following bids were received:
- $5,655.00 from Tri State RV Park (included 10% deposit check)
- $,5,505.00 from Michael Veneziano (included 10% deposit check)
- $6,150.00 from Ralph Burger (included 10 % deposit check)
- $5,600.00 from Shiffer Bituminous (included bid bond)
A motion was made by Supervisor Buchanan to award the bid to Ralph Burger high bidder. The motion was seconded by Supervisor Fischer and carries with all in favor.
- Jeff Clune-Mill Rift-Township Road Matter: Solicitor Bernathy stated that he met with Mr. Clune after doing some research at the Pike County Mapping Office. The road “Sand Pit Road” is a “paper road” which means the road is dedicated to the Township but never opened. He stated there is no physical road and that the county maps confirm this. Solicitor Bernathy provided a laminated map of all Westfall Township roads to the Board for their keeping. He stated the road may be built to Township specifications and then formally opened by the township. Solicitor Bernathy stated that there have been no formal offers as of yet and that the Supervisors are under no obligation to do so but can do so if they want to open the road.
Vice Chairman Dotey made a motion to approve opening the road once Mr. Clune agrees to build the road to Township specifications.
Solicitor Bernathy stated the property is not landlocked and that there are Rights of Way over other properties for access. Supervisor Buchanan suggested waiting for an offer from Mr. Clune in writing.
There was no second to the motion therefore the motion did not carry.
- Municipal Expansion Project Update: Vice Chairman Dotey presented a preliminary plan prepared by Kiley Associates for the location of the proposed Highway Department Building and proposed Eastern Pike Regional Police Department Building. He stated that originally they were looking to locate the complex up on top of the hill behind the Township Municipal Office. But due to a couple of different reasons, one being expense, the proposed two story Police Department would be an addition to the current Municipal Office building. The proposed Highway Department Building would be located back on the next level of land up from the current building. Vice Chairman Dotey stated that he brought the matter, specifically funding contribution for the project, to the attention of the Matamoras Police Commission members. He stated there was no response.
Discussion followed. Vice Chairman Dotey noted that Kiley Associates will provide an update by the end of this month. Supervisor Buchanan questioned what would be done with the existing Highway Department Building. Vice Chairman Dotey said the new part would be saved for storage and the old part would be demolished. Chairman Melvin stated the project is being proposed to move the Highway Department out of the flood area with grant funding. Mr. Ewbank questioned what would be done with the current municipal building since it also floods on the lower level. Chairman Melvin stated nothing at this time.
- Fire Department Split: Solicitor Bernathy said that he met with the Mill Rift Fire Department. He noted that he reviewed the documents submitted and proposes the Township sign a Fire Protection Contract with each Department. He suggested scheduling an executive session for personnel matters.
A motion was made by Supervisor Bostinto to schedule an executive session for April 3, 2017 at 6:30 pm. The motion was seconded by Vice Chairman Dotey and carries with all in favor.
- Pike County Light & Power/Corning Gas-Katrina Colvin Stilts: No one was present.
- Westfall Senior Apartments-Request for Bond Reduction-Letter from Kiley Associates:
Nate Oiler from RKR Hess was present. Mr. Oiler explained the request and noted that Mr. Mandelbaum
will keep the bond in place until all improvements are installed.
Mr. Oiler explained the changes and the bond reduction request. Discussion followed regarding amount of
trees approved (121) and how many now proposed (68). Mr. Oiler confirmed with Supervisor Fischer there
will be a twenty foot distance between the trees. He also stated the patio will be eliminated and that a pavilion
will be added. Chairman Melvin confirmed the square footage of the patio as 1500 square feet. Supervisor
Fischer commented on the spacing between the trees. He stated that 20 feet is too spread out.
Solicitor Bernathy asked about the water quality structures and inlets. Mr. Oiler explained that the design
has been modified to eliminate the spouts and there will be a hood over inlet to keep materials from going
out of the hole. Mr. Oiler also noted there would be no shrubs planted in the snow storage area and that
mature trees will be planted and that they would meet NPDES requirements for water quality.
Chairman Melvin noted that the paver area was a nice place for residents to go even in case if an emergency
fire area. Supervisor Buchanan suggested the pavilion for that purpose.
Additional discussion took place regarded the trees. Supervisor Fischer stated that the white pines would
would not be dense enough. Mr. Oiler explained that white pines are a good buffer. Supervisor Bostinto
questioned an in place maintenance plan. Mr. Oiler stated that Mr. Mandelbaum maintains his properties.
Solicitor Bernathy noted that the Supervisors can put conditions on the approved plans.
A motion was made by Supervisor Buchanan to accept the request to modify the plan previously approved
by the Board of Supervisors more specifically as follows:
- The number of trees necessary to buffer the perimeter of the property with one row of white pines
- Spaced fifteen feet apart to the Township Engineer for the escrow retainage adjustment.
- The request to eliminate the paved patio was approved.
- The request to withhold a bond for the structures in the inlets for $3,500.00 was approved.
- The request to withhold the $3,000.00 for final seeding for all remaining disturbed area was approved.
The motion was seconded by Vice Chairman Dotey and carries with all in favor.
- Liquor License Transfer Request-Good Fella’s Pizza (Westfall Township) from Naughty Knotty, Inc. (Greene Township): A motion was made by Supervisor Buchanan to schedule the hearing and advertise accordingly for April 3, 2017 at 7:05 pm. The motion was seconded by Vice Chairman Dotey and carries with all in favor.
- Pike County Hazard Mitigation Plan Update Meeting #3: This matter was handled earlier in the meeting.
- MRM Trust Proxy: A motion was made by Supervisor Bostinto to approve the Chairman of the MRM Trust to cast the Westfall Township vote for purposes of a quorum and on all matters which may come before the Annual Meeting of the MRM Workers’ Compensation Pooled Trust on Friday, April 7, 2017. The motion was seconded by Supervisor Buchanan and carries with all in favor.
SUBDIVISION REVIEW and ACTION:
- Minor Land Development-Van Etten Accessible Lift Addition: Solicitor Bernathy stated that Mr. and Mrs. Van Etten appeared before the Planning Board. He explained the improvement which would create handicapped accessibility. Solicitor Bernathy noted that Pike County Planning approval has been received and that Kiley Associates, LLC review letter has been received. He also noted that there would be no adjacent property impact, no parking impact and no ingress issues.
A motion was made by Supervisor Buchanan to approve the Van Etten Minor Land Development application (Accessible Lift Addition) with the following conditions:
- State Approval
- County Approval
- Engineer Review Letter
- Individual Written Waiver request for each waiver
- The Plan should be labeled “Minor Land Development Plan”
The motion was seconded by Vice Chairman Dotey and carries with all in favor.
No further comment was made.
ADJOURNMENT: Meeting was adjourned at 7:55 p.m. on a motion by Vice Chairman Dotey. Motion seconded by Supervisor Fischer and carries with all in favor.