Westfall Township, Matamoras, PA
August 3, 2015
The regular meeting of the Westfall Township Board of Supervisors was held Monday, August 3, 2015 at 7:05 pm. The meeting was held at the Township Building on Delaware Drive and LaBarr Lane, Westfall Township.
Those present were Chairman, Robert Melvin, Vice Chairman, Jerry Dotey; Supervisors, Raymond Banach (by speaker phone) and Lester Buchanan; Solicitor, Robert Bernathy; Secretary, Jodi Hulse and Treasurer, Scott Myer. Also present were Road Master, Bill Schneider, Zoning Officer, Michael Rendleman, Police Chief, Chad Stewart, Twila Decker, Nancy Buchanan, Jane Smedley, Esquire, Eric Brinser, Rettew, and approximately 10 members of the general public.
Supervisor Robert Bostinto was not present.
APPROVAL OF AGENDA:
Chairman Melvin moved the “Subdivision Review and Action” up to the first topic of the meeting as a courtesy to the applicant due to their long trip home.
Supervisor Buchanan added “Further Bids from Contractors” under New Business #11.
A motion was made by Vice Chairman Dotey to approve the agenda. The motion was seconded by Supervisor Buchanan and carries with all in favor.
Cellco Partnership d/b/a Verizon Wireless-Wireless Telecommunications Facility-Berger Road, Mill Rift (in CD Zone)-Slate Stone Hunting Club, Inc. (Property Owner)-Final Minor Land Development:
Representatives: Attorney Jane Smedley and Eric Brinser from Rettew.
Solicitor Bernathy went over the conditions from the Planning Commission and confirmed with Attorney Smedley and Mr. Brinser that all have been met.
A motion was made by Supervisor Buchanan to approve the four waivers included in the application (attached hereto). The motion was seconded by Vice Chairman Dotey and carries with all in favor.
A motion was made by Supervisor Buchanan to approve the Minor Subdivision Application for the Cellco Partnership d/b/a Verizon Wireless-Wireless Telecommunications Tower to be built in a C/D Zone at the Slate Stone Hunting Club, Inc. in Mill Rift with the owner’s signatures on the plan. The motion was seconded by Vice Chairman Dotey and carries with all in favor.
A motion was made by Supervisor Buchanan to waive the financial security requirement for the Cellco Partnership d/b/a Verizon Wireless-Telecommunication Tower construction. The motion was seconded by Vice Chairman Dotey and carries with all in favor.
Twila Decker addressed the Board. She said she represents a large group of residents and is concerned about garbage being left in the roadway near her home between Cuddeback and Margaret Streets. Also behind the Apple Grill Restaurant.
Discussion followed. Solicitor Bernathy asked Ms. Decker to provide an address of the property owner. He directed Mr. Rendleman to send an enforcement notice.
July 6, 2015-Tabled due to lack of majority present who were present on July 6, 2015
TREASURER’S REPORT: Mr. Myer gave the report for July, 2015. He said the collection of Real Estate Tax are at 100%. Also, approximately $21,000 has been received for Earned Income Tax collection. Discussion followed regarding the necessity for a Tax Anticipation Note this upcoming year. Mr. Myer said it would be difficult to speculate at this time.
A motion was made by Supervisor Buchanan to approve Chairman Melvin meeting with Mr. Myer to discuss 2016 budget information and to accept the Treasurers Report for July, 2015. The motion was seconded by Vice Chairman Dotey and carries with all in favor.
POLICE REPORT: Chad Stewart gave the Police Report (on file at the township office). The report was for the month of July, 2015. The following are the monthly count of offenses known to Police: 1 Assault, 2 Burglary, 17 Larceny Theft, 2 Fraud, 6 Vandalism, 1 Sex Offense, 2 Drug Abuse, 2 Drunkenness, 8 Disorderly Conduct and 3 all other offenses. Total of 44. The following is the monthly count of persons charged for offenses: 8 Larceny Theft, 2 Sex Offense, 13 Drug Abuse, 4 DUI, 3 Drunkenness, and 1 Disorderly Conduct. Total of 27. Miles patrolled for the month were 5,678. Year to Date 32,934. Motor vehicle accidents for the month were 29. Year to Date 131. Calls for service for the month were 250. Year to Date 1356.
Supervisor Buchanan moved to approve the Police Report. Motion was seconded by Vice Chairman Dotey and carries with all in favor.
Westfall Fire Department: The report is on file. No representative present to read report. A motion was made by Supervisor Buchanan to accept the report. The motion was seconded by Vice Chairman Melvin and carries with all in favor.
Mill Rift Fire Department: No report submitted. No representative present.
HIGHWAY DEPARTMENT: Bill Schneider gave the report for July, 2015. Mr. Schneider said the department worked on base repair and black topped pot holes on Cummins Hill and Bluestone Boulevard. They also did maintenance on township property. He said he was called on to the red light by Walmart on Routes 6 & 209 since someone hit the pole. Also, the wire for the red light at the GO 24 Store was pulled out. Kuharchik Construction was called out for both incidents. Mr. Schneider said there was an issue with traffic backing up at the light in front of Walmart due to paving being done by Walmart. The paving company ripped up the light loop in the road. He said they did not report a PA One call notice.
Mr. Schneider attended the Road Task Force meeting in July. He said Matt Osterberg, Mike Peifer and Lisa Baker are all aware of the issue on Delaware Drive near Pond Drive and are working on the funding for the project. He said he received a PA One Call notice for digging which reflects a start date of August 4, 2015 with a duration time of nine months.
Mr. Schneider also reported that there was damage done by heavy rains on July 27, 2015. Fire Tower Road was closed for three days until repaired. The department is continuing to repair the roads and shoulders from storm damage which has put them behind about one week. He also met with the black top bidders to show them the paving work site. The tar and chip has been completed by Wayco, Inc. which was planned for last year and was postponed.
He stated the department attended the meeting with the Army Corp. of Engineers on Mashipacong Island. The meeting went well and the inspection would be every two years from now forward.
A motion was made by Supervisor Buchanan to approve the Highway Department Report. The motion was seconded by Vice Chairman Dotey and carries with all in favor.
BUILDING/ZONING REPORT: Michael Rendleman gave the report for July, 2015. There were 4 building permits, 3 Electrical Permits and 2 zoning permits issued for the month. The fees totaled $63,179.12 with no fees outstanding.
Supervisor Buchanan moved to approve the report. Motion was seconded by Supervisor Banach and carries with all in favor.
EMERGENCY MANAGEMENT: Mr. Ewbank was not present. Chairman Melvin read the report which is on file.
CORRESPONDENCE: On desk for review.
- Ordinance 165-Repealing Ordinance 158 (Amusement Tax): Matter was addressed at Public Hearing just prior to meeting at 7:00 pm
- Westfall Township/Westfall Sewer Authority-Proposed Modification for Katz Properties: Solicitor Bernathy explained the proposed agreement.
A motion was made by Supervisor Buchanan to approve the signing of the Modification Agreement. The motion was seconded by Vice Chairman Dotey and carries with all in favor.
3. Bluestone Boulevard Paving Bids: A motion was made by Supervisor Buchanan to award the bid for the Bluestone Boulevard paving project to the lowest bidder, Wayco, Inc. in the amount of $71,474.36. The motion was seconded by Vice Chairman Dotey and carries with all in favor.
Sealed bids received: Wayco, Inc. $71,474.36
ER Linde Construction Corp. $88,292.00
1. Letter of Interest-Carpenter Lee Cokelette: Discussion regarding contractors followed. The Board agreed to add Mr. Cokelette to the approved list of contractors to perform work at the Township.
2. Letter of Interest-Painter Don Rosencrance: The Board agreed to add Mr. Rosencrance to the list of approved contractors contingent upon his liability insurance coverage amount being increased. If not increased, he would not be added to the list.
# 11 under New Business was moved up-further bids from contractors: Correspondence from Thomas Lamb. The Board agreed to add Mr. Lamb to the approved list of contractors to perform work at the Township.
The Board agreed to rotate the contractors as jobs need to be done.
Solicitor Bernathy stated all jobs will require a contract.
3. Penn Dot-5 Year Winter Municipal Agreement: A motion was made by Supervisor Buchanan to accept the agreement. The motion was seconded by Jerry Dotey and carries with all in favor.
4. Advertise Joint Meeting for Eastern Pike Regional Police Budget (Westfall Township and Matamoras Borough)-August 17, 2015: A motion was made by Supervisor Buchanan to advertise the meeting for August 17, 2015 at 7:00 pm to be held at the Westfall Township Building. The motion was seconded by Vice Chairman Dotey and carries with all in favor.
Solicitor Bernathy stated it is not necessary for attorneys to be present at the meeting.
5. Correspondence from Tetra Tech-RE: Tennessee Gas Pipeline: Discussion followed. The Board directed Secretary Hulse to send a letter to Tetra Tech to confirm the project does not affect Westfall Township.
6. Letter of Interest-Mike Barth-Upper Delaware Council: A motion was made by Supervisor Banach to appoint Mr. Barth as Upper Delaware Council Representative. The motion was seconded by Vice Chairman Dotey and carries with all in favor.
7. Matamoras-Westfall Township Historical Society Rent: A motion was made by Supervisor Buchanan to amend the contract to $1.00 per year rent and all other terms must remain the same including insurance coverage requirement. The motion was seconded by Vice Chairman Dotey and carries with all in favor.
8. Penn Dot Culvert Pipe Issue-Across from 1253 Delaware Drive: A motion was made by Supervisor Banach to send a letter to PennDot to clean/maintain the culvert pipe across from 1253 Delaware Drive. The motion as seconded by Supervisor Buchanan and carries with all in favor.
9. Letter to Fish Commission regarding condition of parking area in front of Township Building: A motion was made by Supervisor Buchanan to send a letter to the Fish Commission to request they improve the area which is large holes in parking lot and sides of boat ramp. The motion was seconded by Supervisor Banach and carries with all in favor.
Supervisor Banach suggested sending photos of the area along with the letter.
10. Audit for Township Funds-Sent out: Discussion followed. No decision made.
11. Further bids from contractors: Addressed earlier in meeting.
SUBDIVISION REVIEW and ACTION: Addressed earlier in meeting
EXECUTIVE SESSION: None
ADJOURNMENT: Meeting was adjourned at 8:20 p.m. on a motion by Supervisor Banach. Motion seconded by Vice Chairman Dotey and carries with all in favor.