Westfall Township, Matamoras, PA
April 6, 2015
The regular meeting of the Westfall Township Board of Supervisors was held Monday, April 6, 2015 at 7:25 pm. The meeting was held at the Township Building on Delaware Drive and LaBarr Lane, Westfall Township.
Those present were Chairman, Robert Melvin; Vice Chairman, Jerry Dotey; Supervisors, Raymond Banach and Lester J. Buchanan; Solicitor, Robert Bernathy, and Secretary, Jodi Hulse. Also present were Scott Myer, Bill Schneider, Mike Rendleman, Chad Stewart, John Dalton, Rob Llewellyn, Charles Pranski, and approximately 20 members of the general public.
Supervisor Bostinto was not present.
APPROVAL OF AGENDA:
Approval of the agenda took place in the public hearing held just before the meeting. Chairman Melvin moved the vote on the proposed Earned Income/Net Profit Tax Ordinance to the public hearing and removed it from Old Business.
A motion was made by Supervisor Buchanan to approve the agenda. The motion was seconded by Vice Chairman Dotey and carries with three in favor and one opposition. Supervisor Banach was in opposition.
EXECUTIVE SESSION: NONE
PUBLIC COMMENT: No public comment took place.
MINUTES: A motion was made by Supervisor Buchanan to approve the March 2, 2015 Regular Supervisor Meeting Minutes. The motion was seconded by Vice Chairman Dotey. The motion carries with all in favor.
TREASURER’S REPORT: Scott Myer gave the report. The report is on file at the township office. Mr. Myer said all is in line as expected.
A motion was made by Supervisor Banach to accept the Treasurer’s Report. The motion was seconded by Vice Chairman Dotey and carries with all in favor.
POLICE REPORT: Chad Stewart gave the Police Report (on file at the township office). The report was for the month of March, 2015. The following are the monthly count of offenses known to Police: 1 Burglary, 17 Larceny Theft, 1 Forgery, 4 Fraud, 1 Vandalism, 2 Weapons Possession, 3 Drug Abuse, 6 Disorderly Conduct and 1 all other offenses. The following is the monthly count of persons charged for offenses: 9 Larceny Theft, 1 Recovery of Stolen Property, 2 Weapons Possession, 1 Sex Offense, 1 Liquor Law, 5 Drug Abuse, 3 Disorderly Conduct and 1 all other offenses. Miles patrolled for the month were 5,984 Year to Date 16, 316. Motor vehicle accidents for the month were 12 Year to Date 45. Calls for service for the month were 184 Year to Date 467.
Supervisor Buchanan moved to approve the Police Report. Motion was seconded by Supervisor Banach and carries with all in favor.
Westfall Fire Department: Rob Llewellyn gave the report for March, 2015. It was as follows:
1 Assist EMS, 2 Automatic Fire Alarms, 1 CO Alarm, 1 Gas Leak, 4 Motor Vehicle Accidents, 3 Chief Investigations, 1 Spill Control, 1 Stand By, 2 Chimney Fires, 3 Vehicle Fires, and 6 Structure Fires. Total calls for March were 25. Total man hours for March were 133.75 and total man hours ytd are 858.75.
EMS Report for March; 21 calls in Westfall Township; 1 call to cover Blue Ridge, 34 calls to cover squad 33 and 17 calls to cover Squad 19. 73 calls for March. 176.25 man hours for March. 226 EMS calls ytd. 491.25 Man Hours ytd.
Four drills /In house training were held for 136 hours. Three members received CPR/AED Teaching Certification.
Mill Rift Fire Department Report: Charles Pranski gave the report. The report for March is as follows:
3/03/15 Work Night-Ran and checked all vehicles-12 man hours and 10 equipment hours
3/10/15 Monthly Meeting-24 man hours
3/17/15 Wires Down-Jay Court-4 man hours and 1 equipment hour
3/17/15 Work Night-Went over Scott Packs-12 man hours-1 equipment hour
3/18/15 Mutual Aid Station 32, Structure Fire-Tanker 1-2 man hours and 1 equipment hour
3/25/15 Cleaned firehouse-14 man hours and 1 equipment hour
3/28/15 Mutual Aid Station 32-Structure Fire-Tanker 1-2 total man hours and .5 equipment hours
Total Man Hours: 70
Total Equipment Hours: 28
Total Man Hours for the year: 283
The Fire Department Reports were accepted by a motion made by Supervisor Banach. The motion was seconded by Vice Chairman Dotey and carries with all in favor.
HIGHWAY DEPARTMENT: Bill Schneider gave the report for March, 2015. He stated the department worked on pot hole patching throughout the township. They installed road signs also. Equipment maintenance was performed. Mr. Schneider said there were two small storms for which they plowed and put down material. He said he met with the Conservation District regarding grant application for Cummins Hill Road. He also spoke with the DCBR regarding work to be done on Machipicong Island. He finalized the pole list for the letter to the Public Utilities Commission. Mr. Schneider said he has the street broom scheduled for use the last week of the month. The department plans on replacing the culvert pipes on Bluestone Boulevard. The large culvert pipe by the Polatnik Bridge on Cummins Hill will be replaced. This is the area which the grant was applied for. He said if whether the township receives the grant or not, the work will be put out for bid in May. He said as soon as the spreader is removed from the mason dump, the department will start to do hot patch on the roads.
The Highway Department Report was accepted by a motion made by Vice Chairman Dotey. The motion was seconded by Supervisor Banach and carries with all in favor.
BUILDING/ZONING REPORT: Michael Rendleman gave the report for March stating there were two building permits and three zoning permits totaling $2,214.60 of which $75.00 is outstanding.
Supervisor Buchanan moved to approve the report. Motion was seconded by Vice Chairman Dotey and carries with all in favor.
EMERGENCY MANAGEMENT: Secretary Hulse said that as per Mr. Ewbank, there was nothing to report for the month of March.
CORRESPONDENCE: On desk for review.
1. Ordinance 163-Membership in Pennsylvania Township Health Insurance Cooperative Trust and the PSATS Unemployment Compensation Group Trust (Amending Ordinance #161): A motion was made by Supervisor Buchanan to approve the ordinance. The motion was seconded by Vice Chairman Dotey and carries with all in favor.
2. Ordinance 164-Earned Income Tax/Net Profit Tax Ordinance: This was removed from agenda since action was taken during the public hearing which was held at prior to the meeting.
1.Schedule Spring Clean-Up Day: A motion was made by Supervisor Banach to schedule the clean-up day for May 2, 2015 from 8:00 am until 2:00 pm with the same fee schedule as last year. The motion was seconded by Vice Chairman Dotey and carries with all in favor.
2. Office Storage Issue: Discussion was held regarding the lack of storage in the township office. No action was taken. Discussion followed regarding the length of time documents are required to be kept by law.
3. Cyber Risk Insurance Quote Application: The Board decided the coverage was not needed at this time. No action was taken.
4. Purchase Defibrillator for Eastern Pike Regional Police Department: A motion was made by Supervisor Buchanan to purchase a defibrillator for the Department. There was no second therefore the motion did not carry. Discussion followed.
5. Eastern Pike Regional Police Commissioner Terms-Letter from Commission requesting stagger of terms: A motion was made by Supervisor Banach to approve the amendment of the Regionalization Agreement to reflect the stagger of terms recited in the letter. The motion was seconded by Vice Chairman Dotey and carries with all in favor.
6. Kuharchik Construction Rate Increase Proposal: A motion was made by Supervisor Buchanan to sign the proposal from Kuharchik with the rate increase only through the end of 2015 and to put on agenda in September of 2015 to advertise for other proposals. The motion was seconded by Vice Chairman Dotey and carries with three in favor and one opposition. Supervisor Banach was in opposition.
Solicitor Bernathy advised Secretary Hulse to add the term of time to the proposal.
7. Noise Pollution-Hawk’s Nest: Discussion was held regarding the noise from the vehicles and motorcycles in the Hawk’s Nest area which echoes through Mill Rift. A motion was made by Supervisor Buchanan to send a letter to the National Park Service and to the Upper Delaware Council for their help in the matter. The motion was seconded by Supervisor Banach and carries with all in favor.
SUBDIVISION REVIEW and ACTION: None
EXECUTIVE SESSION: None
ADJOURNMENT: Meeting was adjourned at 7:58 p.m. on a motion by Supervisor Banach. Motion seconded by Vice Chairman Dotey and carries with all in favor.